Truck driving jobs are widely available in the US and with the demand for drivers steadily rising is a great job opportunity. Truckers are tasked with transporting various goods, items, packages from one location to another by operating heavy machinery in the form of various trucks. They also have other responsibilities such as:
- Maintaining a work log that has information about the goods transported, the location the goods were picked, the location where the goods were dropped, and so on
- Truckers will have to maintain the equipment and trucks that they use on the job
- The truck drivers will have to use the most efficient routes that will allow them to safely transport the cargo
- Comply and follow all the driving rules and regulations
A recent study conducted by Workhand found that pay is the number one factor in keeping drivers happy and satisfied with a job which motivates them to continue with the profession.
Trucking jobs like any other job vary in their payment based on a variety of factors. Four of the main factors that affect truckers’ pay include the region the trucker operates in, the experience of the truck driver, the load of the cargo that they are hauling, and the specific truck job they are hired at. Other significant factors that influence the truck driver’s pay include the company or organization that they work for and the state that a truck driver chooses to operate from.
Here are some of the ways truck drivers can earn more money from their jobs
One of the simplest ways to increase a truck driver’s earnings is to simply select a high-paying state for truck drivers. Different states pay their truck drivers different amounts of money simply based on the location. Truck drivers should choose to operate in states that pay their truck drivers a high average annual wage. States providing the highest average annual truck driving salaries include Washington DC ( 52000 ), Massachusetts ( 50,000 ), Nevada ( 50,000 ), New York ( 50,000 ), Connecticut ( 49,000 ), and California ( 47,000 ).
Like with any other job opportunity, a truck driver’s earnings can be increased by which company that they work for. Truckers should select to work for companies that have high average salaries. Truckers should try to land jobs in Barstow CA with the highest paying trucking companies or companies that require shipment of goods like logistics companies, companies related to the food industry, and megastores that pay the drivers well. Some of the highest paying companies for truckers include Dayton freight, Holland freight, ABF freight, Estes trucking, Trimac transportation, G P Transco, Brady trucking, Acme trucking, Walmart, Target, Costco, and FedEx.
In any profession, the key to increasing an individual’s pay is heavily dependent on the experience the person has in their respective profession. This is also true for truck drivers as drivers with experience are likely to make significantly more than their inexperienced counterparts. Truckers can become a more valuable asset to the company that they work for by simply acquiring multiple endorsements. An endorsement is an addition to the commercial driving license that a trucker that gives them permission to operate different types of vehicles and cargo. An endorsement is additional licenses that allow the driver to operate different types of vehicles and transport different types of cargo that broaden the driver’s employment opportunities. The most lucrative endorsements that can increase a truck driver’s earnings include:
- Hazardous Materials Endorsement: This endorsement allows truck drivers to transport hazardous materials from location to location. The hazardous materials that the driver has to transport include various types of gasses and liquids that pose a danger to the public and the environment. The driver has to transport these materials carefully as the materials can be explosive, combustible, flammable, corrosive, poisonous, and radioactive.
- Tanker Endorsement: This endorsement allows truck drivers to transport items using a truck with an attachment to a tanker-like rig. Truck drivers can earn significantly more by operating trucks with a freight attachment. The attachments that a tanker endorsed trucker can use include Flatbeds, Dry vans, reefers, and hotshot attachments.
- Hazmat Tanker Endorsement: This endorsement allows truckers to operate trucks that are transporting a tanker of hazardous materials.
The pay that comes with a truck driving job is also heavily dependent on the route that the trucker takes. Some routes require higher amounts of technical knowledge and therefore pay more. Ice road trucking is one example of an extremely high-paying truck driving job. Ice road trucking involves transporting goods to locations during peak winter periods. This often means the truck driver is transporting goods with low visibility due to snow and over frozen lakes, and slippery roads.
Truck drivers can also earn higher amounts of money by the load that they are transporting. Some truckers have to transport extra-large loads from one place to another. Due to the increased size of their load, these truckers are often paid higher. They have to transport items like small houses and construction equipment or materials.
A truck driving job is a great career for those looking to make good money. One of the benefits that come with the job is that there are plenty of opportunities to increase a truck driver’s earnings.