Trekking downhill can be horrendous on the off chance that you don’t observe the security guidelines. Of course, beginner cyclists should first practice on flat terrain and then proceed to descents and ascents. In addition, you need to be able to distribute your center of gravity on the bike and be confident in the serviceability of all mechanisms.
Correct fit on the bike
When cycling, especially on a steep downhill, you need to make the most of your own body in order to keep the transport in balance. Avoid grabbing the wheel or straining your back.
Get the calculation of the slope of the downhill with the help of the slope intercept form calculator.
A correct and safe landing includes 3 main points:
- the focal point of gravity;
- the position of the hands and body;
- position of the feet on the pedals.
When descending a steep mountain, keep in mind that the bike’s center of gravity will shift forward and must have balance.
The rider’s pelvis should be above the rear edge of the saddle or even move towards the rear wheel. If the front wheel starts to roll from side to side, you need to move forward a little.
The body is tilted forward, the arms are bent at the elbow at an acute angle, and lie softly on the handlebars. On a straight descent, the feet stand on the pedals parallel to the ground so as not to hit possible bumps with them.
The limbs should not be pinched at the joints so that they can be cushioned on stones or other uneven ground. And you can get the help of a percent error calculator to get the difference between the actual and estimated rates in percentage.
Brake operation on the descent
The serviceability of the brakes is checked before descent. It is believed that in such a situation, the front brake cannot be used, otherwise you may fall off the bike. In fact, both the front and rear brakes will need to work when driving downhill.
When the bike goes down, the bulk of it falls on the front wheel. When blocking only the rear one, it will not be possible to stop the movement, since it practically does not contact the surface. That is why the usage of the front brake is to stop, and the rear is necessary for smooth movement.
To break on a descent, you need to perform several actions:
- move the center of gravity as far back as possible;
- hold down the rear brake and smoothly engage the front one;
- at the required speed, move back forward, and continue driving.
When braking, you need to listen to the sounds from under the wheels. If you hear a hiss, the brakes locked the wheels and do not spin, but move along the ground. In this case, release the brake.
Bike ride in the mountains
Descending a flat mountain on bicycles is not difficult if you know how to keep your balance. It is much more difficult to learn how to handle tight turns, especially if the mountain is steep.
There is an algorithm of actions on the serpentine:
bike ride mountain biking technique
- When cornering, you don’t have to be afraid to tilt the body inward. At the same time, the outer leg rests on the pedal.
- The inner foot rests on the pedal in the up position to avoid snagging the ground when tilting.
- The eyes are directed towards the road, and obstacles should be tried to be noticed with peripheral vision.
- The most important thing is to learn not to focus on the nearest meters. But to look at the road in perspective.
If an encounter of the obstacle is on the way, it is worth turning your head along the trajectory of movement. That is, not looking at a stone or a bump. This way the downhill movement will be smoother and the action more confident.
Important tips and tricks
- It is important for a beginner to know in advance how to prepare for traveling on uneven tracks.
- On the way, there may be descents and ascents, obstacles in the form of sand or gravel, as well as other difficulties. Before you leave, it’s worth reading a simple checklist to help prevent trouble.
- It is better to ride in the company of like-minded people, especially if the road passes through picturesque but uncrowded places.
- The route should be laid out in advance and the diagram should be left to one of the comrades so that in case of injury, help can be sent. In mountainous areas, it is not always possible to use the telephone.
- Be sure to take a backpack with a complete first aid kit.
- It is dangerous to ride in the mountains without special protection, especially without a helmet.
- The main rule is to assess your abilities and cycling skills in time. If they leave a lot desire, it is worth practicing on a flat descent. Its optimal length is 10 m, and at the end, there should be a straight line for braking. Once you lesson learned, you can gradually increase the difficulty of the course and the angle of descent, as well as add turns.
Everyone considers the downhill one of the most difficult tests in cycling, it is also downhill. Participants come to this sport as well trained as their bicycles. A typical track consists of steep descents, sharp turns, and obstacles and must drive at high speed.
A beginner or an amateur will not cope with this task, but they will be quite capable of descending from a low, even hill.